While you are downing/smashing your protein shake after a workout, you can whip up these healthy”fa-gi-tas” fast. I like to use Vidalia onions and coconut oil for a hint of sweetness, which complements the spiciness/saltiness nicely.
Health Benefits of Portobello Mushrooms
Portobellos have a balance of protein and carbs, and they are low in fat. They have a moderately high amount of fiber.
Fiber is a key substance for controlling cholesterol and blood-sugar levels.
It also has a filling effect on the body, which is beneficial for weight maintenance.
Portobello mushrooms contain moderate amounts of B vitamins.
This helps with red blood cell formation, nervous system function, and energy production.
Among all natural food sources, mushrooms are the only ones containing selenium, a compound necessary for the proper function of the thyroid and male reproductive systems.
Selenium is an antioxidant that protects the cells from damage from heart disease, age-related diseases, and certain cancers.
Carbs: 31 | Fat: 15 | Protein: 18.5 | Calories: 335
Yield: 4 servings
- 3-4 large Portobello mushrooms
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu
- 3 red bell peppers
- 1 Vidalia onion
- 1 tbsp. taco seasoning (see below)
- 1/2 lime, fresh squeezed
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil (for the pan)
- ¼ cup chili powder
- ¼ cup cumin powder
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. oregano leaf (or oregano leaf powder)
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- ¼ cup Himalayan salt or sea salt (optional)
- Remove stems of mushrooms, wipe tops clean, and cut into thick slices.
- Thinly slice bell peppers and onion.
- Mix together taco seasoning ingredients by simply shaking well in a jar.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add coconut oil, peppers, and onions.
- Toss in the tofu.
- Cook about 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and 1 tbsp. taco seasoning.
- Stirring occasionally, cook another 7-8 minutes or until softened.
- Squeeze 1/2 lime (or more) into the pan, add salt, and stir.
- Turn off heat.
- While the veggies are cooking, prepare your toppings of choice.
- Warm the tortillas if desired.
- Serve with cilantro and toppings of choice.