Sometimes I throw these vegetarian meatballs into a sub and smash it after a hard workout!
You may be surprised by how good black beans are for your health.
Just a half-cup of black beans contains six grams of dietary fiber with less than a gram of fat and no cholesterol.
These are quite filling without the fat (and lethargy) of eating beef meatballs.
Here’s a link to a vegan meatball recipe as well.
Yield: Makes approximately 6-8 “meatballs”
- 1 15 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz. of shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 organic farm fresh egg
- 1/2 cup of gluten free Italian bread crumbs
- 1 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1 tsp. of ground sea salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place black beans, mushrooms, egg, bread crumbs, garlic, salt, pepper and seasonings into large bowl. Mix* thoroughly.
- Coat muffin tin with coconut oil.
- Roll mixture into balls and place in muffin tin.
- Bake for approximately 12-15 minutes. Be careful not to let them dry out.
- Remove from oven and serve with marinara sauce.
*The interior texture can get mushy if the mushrooms or black beans contain too much liquid. Be sure to drain all ingredients thoroughly before mixing.