These homemade protein bars are thrown together in minutes and make the perfect pre-workout snack to sustain your energy for crushing some weights.
Personally, I think damn near every commercial protein bar I’ve tasted is way too sweet.
This is why I didn’t add a sweetener per se, however the peanut butter and dark chocolate chips do the trick in my opinion.
If it’s not sweet enough, just add 1/2 cup pure maple syrup and you’re good to go.
Carbs: 14 | Fat: 7.5 | Protein: 12 | Calories: 165
Yield: 12 servings
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free rolled oats, blended into a flour
- 1 cup plant-based protein powder (I use Garden of Life, unsweetened or chocolate)
- 1/2 cup organic brown rice crisps cereal
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter (or almond butter)
- 3 tablespoons mini dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon organic coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, to taste
- Line a 9×5” loaf pan with parchment paper or coat pan with coconut oil.
- Mix the oat flour, protein powder, rice crisps, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add in the nut butter and vanilla. Stir well to combine. The idea is to arrive at a cookie dough texture, you may need to dial it in a little by adding a splash of non-dairy milk.
- Press into pan and roll out with a pastry roller until smooth. Pop into the freezer.
- Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil together in a small pot over low heat. When half of the chips have melted, remove from heat and stir until smooth.
- After freezing the bars for about 5-10 minutes, remove from freezer and slice into bars. Drizzle with melted chocolate and freeze again until set. Store in the freezer for a week or longer in an air-tight freezer bag or container.