This spicy vegan butternut squash dish has 17 grams of protein per serving.
Like veggie chili, you can easily make this hearty vegan recipe in much larger batches to help alleviate some of the cooking throughout the week. I added two possible modifications at the bottom.
Carbs: 53 | Fat: 7.5 | Protein: 17 | Calories: 338
Yield: 4 servings
- 4 cups butternut squash
- 2 cups of organic firm tofu
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup red pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp hot sauce of choice
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 2 cups organic vegetable stock (Emeril)
- 1 cup tomato sauce (Hunts)
- 1 tsp paprika and oregano
- 3 tsp cayenne pepper
- flaky sea salt and pepper, as needed
You can add some broccoli for some greens or you can swap the brown rice with quinoa for added protein.
- Get out a large bowl for the veggie prep. Dice the tomatoes. Peel and cut the butternut squash into ½ inch cubes. Cut the tofu in ½ inch cubes, as well.
- In a large skillet, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add garlic, squash, tomatoes, and tofu.
- Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes then pour in the vegan Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and rice. Cook rice in mixture for 1-2 minutes before adding liquids.
- Finally, add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and reduce to let it simmer. Keep stirring off and on until the rice absorbs most of the liquid (approximately 20-30 minutes). Remove from heat and serve.